View Single Post
      06-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
PrionFawkes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i (2020)

Dashcams: Mounting & Power Locations

My goal is to determine the optimal locations for not only mounting a dashcam but, more importantly, where to tap into 12V power in the most discreet way possible.

The model of dashcam will to some extent dictate the best mounting location on the windscreen, therefore the primary focus of this thread will be to determine the best method of running power cables as hidden and cleanly as possible. I'm still researching dashcams, and the purpose of this thread is NOT to discuss the cameras themselves. There are plenty of other forums for those discussions.

I would like to determine the following:
  1. Location to tap into 12V constant
  2. Location to tap into 12V with ignition switched on
  3. Location of viable grounding points

Risks or Challenges I've already identified:
  1. Fuse panel is in the trunk, at a point furthest away from the windscreen
  2. Sliding panel over the 12V port in center console adds complexity to wiring units that require a 12V port for their power cables

Possible solutions:
  1. Use an OBDII adapter to provide power
  2. Use an adapter to convert power cable to 12V socket

Desired Goals:
  1. Avoid running the power cable the entire length of the car, into the cargo area
  2. Avoid using fuse taps to tie into the vehicle's electical system
  3. Hide all wiring and power connections from view

Seeing as my G29 Z4 has just left Bremerhaven and is approximately 3 to 4 weeks away from delivery, I'm doing by best to prepare without having access to the vehicle itself.

Below are some images to help kick start the conversation, as well as the information I have obtained so far. These include the location of the Fuse Panel and OBD port per the Owner's Manual, as well as possible mounting and power tapping locations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0