SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Maybe you don't drive on unimproved gravel roads.
You don't have to drive on gravel roads to experience this problem. During the Euro Delivery of my 2016 M4 in May 2016 were were driving on a paved mountain road in Italy, but it had a lot of pebbles on it from the "shoulders" of the road and I picked up one which made me immediately pull off the side of the road when I was able. Then I remembered that I had read about this on the F80/F82 forum and realized what it was. Fortunately, stopping allowed the pebble to drop out. Sounded pretty horrible though and this happened less than a week after I took delivery. I thought something catastrophic had happened to my car. The first time I had the rear wheels off after I got the car home, I just bent back the backing plate slightly and I haven't experienced this since then. There's a TSB on this and updated part numbers for the F80/F82 M3/M4. My wife's 2018 M3 has not experienced this problem so she probably has the updated backing plates.

Other people I know have experienced this when doing canyon runs, which invariably has rocks/stones/pebbles on the roads. This happened so someone else just this past weekend on a club drive on the windy, twisty roads of east San Diego county, all paved roads.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 07-26-2019 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0