View Single Post
      10-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Barnesy
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35d M Sport

Z4 s30i mSport - 2000 Miles later

Firstly, let me put some context here. I am a slightly overweight guy in the UK who is approaching 60, who is the best part of 6ft 4in tall. Size matters

This isn't really a review, just a collection of thoughts.

Having moved out of corporate life I was looking for something a bit more fun that my F25 X3 35d (which was a great car). I fancied a Boxster but I didn't quite fit, and was put off by the overall cost to purchase when specced up.

I was in the BMW garage in Exeter and I saw a Z4 s20i. I hadn't seen one on the road before and it was love at first sight.

Number one priority. I fitted in it! The seat was comfortable and I felt immediately at home.

After a few chats with the sales guy, and some research, I decided on the 30i. Yes, I was tempted by the M40i, but various people told me it was a bit tail-happy. If I was 30-years younger perhaps that would have suited me. Not now.

On paper the 30i seemed the best combination of performance, price and mpg (I am retired)

At my local dealer I saw a 30i that was a pre-reg. Just 75 miles on it. After a quick test drive I was hooked. It was in white, which I really like, and had the comfort plus and tech packs.

After some negotiation I picked it up 5 days later.
  • I've now done approaching 2,000 miles and I love it.
  • The power delivery and torque means it can be a relaxed cruiser and a fairly quick machine on country roads. I have never felt that I NEEDED more power.
  • I've done a couple of 600 mile round trips. Very comfortable, no aches and pains and 47 mpg (UK) on each trip.
  • The Harman Kardon system seems a bit weak, definitely not as good as in my X3
  • Voice activation seems to struggle a lot, even with the top up.
  • The boot (trunk) is very useable. In the past I had a Mercedes SLK350, and with the top down there was no space.
  • I love the way the top comes up/down very quickly - easy to deal with showers, and no stowage partition to worry about.
  • It goes round corners on rails
  • The heated steering wheel is an essential luxury now that the days are getting colder
  • I'm an Android user so I won't be paying the Apple Car Play subscription.
  • Allegedly it is possibly to mirror my Android screen to the display - I can't get it to work.
  • The cross-sectional profile of the steering wheel is oval. On a long journey this seems to dig into my hands a little
  • I've tried the various auto settings. I find sport-plus mildly irritating with the popping and blips on down-shift (see opening paragraph)
  • Eco-pro is a lot better than on my X3 where I felt it was dangerous with such a slow throttle response.

There's not much more I can think of to add. So here's a picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Jason40753.00
CeEl479.00
Riky140.50
-cj-198.00
stein_325i25083.00