10-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #44
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
However, for the winter, a single emergency situation makes it very well worth it. The difference between all-season and winter tires is that dramatic.
No, is not. Know your car and your limits and you will do just fine. A good All Season is quite performant.

Quote:
I don't get snow in the summer where I live. With tire swaps in mid-april and mid-november, I've never got caught with the wrong tires.
Is just a matter of when not If. Just give it time. Then you will realize that an All Weather can handle everything unexpected. In September we had warm weather except one day when we got 25 cm of snow in a few hours.

Quote:
I'll have to disagree on that one. While AWD with all-season might maybe have an advantage in straight line acceleration, it will be at a disadvantage when cornering and when braking where AWD does not help.
I agree to disagree. Actually an AWD vehicle shines because the power is sent to all wheels (or most exactly to the wheel with most traction in xDrive system) and you have more wheels pushing. Keep in mind that we are talking about a 50/50 weight distribution vehicle (so we can eliminate further unnecessary comments).
Or your comment disputes and tries to cancel any benefit AWD brings in as a system, especially on low traction situations (winter) which was designed for.
Either way, I stick with my all-weather regardless of your opinion which targets extreme driving behaviour, which does not apply to the majority of the drivers. Even so, a Continental DWS is rated at 270km/h and is designed to handle a certain speed and a certain breaking distance. So, by no means the new all weather will fall under "mediocre" formula as some of you suggest.

Keep in mind that this video presents three different tires on the same vehicle which is RWD (M4). The difference is obvious. A RWD must have winter. But the video fails to mention that this is on a RWD situation.

Yes, you will shine with your summer when is dry and wonderful and you will shine in your winter when the snow is there. But for everything in between, the all season is the one that will handle everything very well.

In the end, the fact that my vehicle does not see the dealership two times more per year, the wheels are untouched, the vehicle does not stay with two big wheels in the trunk and other two sagging the leather in the rear seat for the whole day (if is done in the same day), there will be no smudges, scratches or surprises, and no rookie will play with my wheels and my vehicle, worth for me more than you think!!!
As a note, I am the guy who trade the braking distance for less braking dust. I love my cars very much and the less they see the tech, the better.
Appreciate 0