Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordrich View Post
Thanks for the tips. So you don't drive your vehicle at all during the winter storage months. I've always been told it was better to drive it a little than to let it sit for extended periods. My car will be in a garage that is generally above freezing and I will take it out on a very clear, dry day for a few miles every couple of weeks (assuming I'm at home). I also keep it on a smart trickle charger. I did that with my Z3 and the battery lasted a very long time. Your points about inflating the tires to avoid the flat spots and filling the gas tank are good ideas that I will follow.
I store 4 vehicles all winter long and have done so for 10+ years; if you store them properly, there is no reason to fire it up during their 6 month hibernation. I clean them, put them on a maintenance charger and use ethanol free fuel or treat it with Stabil. Periodic running of the engines is actually bad for them unless you get it all the way up to temp for at least 15-20 minutes to burn off any condensation in the oil. Going for a drive is out of the question for me as the roads here are coverered in snow, ice and gravel all winter long. doing an oil change and filling the tires before putting them away are good ideas too though I seldom bother.

2 cents,
Dave
Appreciate 0