View Single Post
      10-02-2023, 07:49 PM   #35
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I don't really think Max needs a buffer. But Horner said a long time ago, that it's Checo's task to get the #2 position in the WDC, so that RB scores a 1-2. They have such a dominant car, that they want the WCC and 1+2 in WDC.

This year, Checo's luck is that there's a big fight for 2nd place going on, where depending on the time in the season, different teams make progress. So in the first part of the season you see ALO scooping up points, then HAM and MERC making progress and now NOR with Mclaren.
So those podium places that not fall to Checo, are being divided by at least 3 drivers, maybe 4.

But what if next year there is a clear #2 team, for example mclaren, just as there was last year (ferrari). Then the majority of those podium places will be scooped up by 1 (maybe 2) driver.
Can Checo couterattack that with his hit&miss performance?
Last year he couldn't, and that's why he's not a very good #2 driver.

I don't see one of the other teams getting a performance leap that big that they can challenge Max, but I do see a Checo Perez performing substandard for a 3rd year in a row....
From all the top teams, nowhere the #1-#2 driver gap is as big as at RB. Only Williams and AMR have this same situation, and yes, their 2nd drivers also suck...

Next years silly season is gonna be epic, with so many driver having their contract expired at the end of 2024, and that a RB seat will be available at 2025, regardless if either PER or RIC drivers for RB in 2024.
So around the summer stop, or a little bit before that, lots of contracts will be signed, and the urge to perform in the 1st 3 months will be there for the drivers.
I agree with you that I just dont see those teams making steps large enough to match RB. That is to assume they don't take any steps backwards (not understanding) or when designing new aspects of the car they dont then encounter new issues (porpoising again?) or again dont understand. Either way, they are all at least 12-15 months , if not more, behind RB in terms of working with the car and knowing it and understanding it (what setup works at what tracks). On top of that, it is quite clear RB barely upgraded this year's car - little tweaks here and there vs wholesale changes by other teams. RB had to be very selective of what went to the wind tunnel and as of yesterday they now have that last 10% back which should help further develop. Furthermore, we know they have a new floor that seems to be very good and then beyond that, we know they have pace in hand and that amount might actually be equal to what other teams may find in dev in a given year (I think they're holding back .4-.5 per lap on most tracks).
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61000.50