Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I may be in the bucket of few here, but never have I bought a car, or anything else for that matter, for the purposes of status. I hate that. Yes, if someone does, I'd call them out for being shallow, superficial, and whatnot, in particular if they're flaunting it, but at the end of the day, to each their own.

When I got my 335i, my cousin, while somewhat poking fun, gave me flack over it. Oooh, a BMW. Gimme a break. My reasoning for buying what I buy is based on what I enjoy, not what or how I want others to see me as. Did I need a BMW? No. Did I want it? Yes. Why? Because I enjoyed how it drove, looked, performed, etc. If someone wants to see it as a status symbol, then that's their own issues to contend with.

As for it being essentially another aspect of a HP war, meh. Will I use that power? Probably. Often? Probably. Will I drive like an asshat? No. Got that out of my system years ago. Will I still drive fast? Probably. I drove fast in my Saturn. No one cared. Now if I do it in a BMW, I'm an asshole who's showing off?

No. It's not a status symbol for me. I could care less if someone assumes that as we know where that goes. As a gear head, auto enthusiast...whatever, my choice is based on a fun factor, not some BS argument about whatever that article was trying to convey.
I hate the whole status symbol crap, I didn't buy my car for that reason. I like RWD, the 6 speed, simplicity, engine, etc. If I didn't like all that, I would have gotten a Honda Civic and saved that money. People don't understand that, they assume you're another one of the million sheep that buy BMWs because of the badge, and I hate being put into that category because it's not a representation of myself
Appreciate 0