02-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #62
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
Funny story about driving a manual RHD car. My wife and I were stationed in Okinawa, Japan many years ago. She actually got a driver's license and bought a car. She hated driving it because of the left handed shifting. So, I'd usually sit in the left (passenger) seat and she'd clutch while I shifted. Okinawa was a really odd RHD situation since the roads were mostly built during the U.S. occupation of the island and they were designed for LHD. When the occupation ended, Japan converted over to RHD. This made for some interesting driving patterns in some interchanges. The only time I've driven a RHD car was in Australia and it was a bit unnerving at first, but I quickly adapted. Oh, and that was in a car with an automatic. The hardest thing I had to overcome was walking up to the wrong side of the car to get in.
BONUS POINTS for this gentleman! I Lol'd when I read how you came up with that system with your wife. Brilliant
I can't help but envision cartoon characters doing that very same thing.

Man I'll bet you have some stories from your days in Okinawa. That's one place I haven't been to yet that I'd really like to visit. Even though I had lived in Japan for a number of years, never made it there.
Appreciate 0