Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
What do you mean by long term reliability? My 2005 Kia Sorento made it 153K miles and 13 Years of salty Michigan winters before I gave up on it. That car has been off-roaded in the dunes and in the mud. I drove it from Montana to Maine. From South Dakota to South Carolina. And it was rusty, but still running when I sold it. I didn't pay for any repairs outside of warranty except for leaky exhaust and AC compressor. How much more long time reliability can you ask for in Northeast winters? I'd argue not many cars can do better.

I replaced it with an '18 Santa Fe. It's still sitting in my garage back in the States. And the best thing is to see how popular Hyundai/Kia is in Germany. I see many of them daily. Germans are utilitarian. They get it too.

Apropos quality, if Japanese/German cars are that much better, why can't they offer a warranty as long as the Hyundai/Kia? .............. Or conversely, if Kia's are sub-par in quality, how can they be financially viable with longest warranty in the marker? .................... Food for thought.

I know badge snobbery exists. I just choose to look past it.
My point exactly it was full of rust. I've had my share of cars that rust and it's impossible... absolutely impossible to get rid of. Once I went to Volvo and BMW I've never had rust problems both underneath the car and the body.

My 2 friends Hyundai's engine blew and they barely had any mileage. I'll deal with leaky BMW gaskets and bad pcv on my Volvo any day over that
Appreciate 0