05-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #1586
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
While I believe that the car looks beautiful, I find it unfortunate that Chevrolet will service it right along with every other car and truck. It would be nice if they gave high-end cars special treatment, using mechanics who specialize only in these cars.
Regardless what has been said about specialized Corvette technical training for the mechanics (all good points), what is so exotic about the C8? IIRC, for now, it is using a Chevrolet small block with a transaxle bolted to the rear of the engine, which is not much different than the C5 - C7 design with the transaxle sitting between the rear wheels. Once the overhead cam V8 comes out, it's not like GM Techs haven't seen an overhead cam engine; GM has had plenty of overhead cam engines in the past and present. The suspension is a new design but nothing exotic, and they did drop the transverse fiber leaf spring design for a more conventional suspension, which is similar in design to other GM products; I'd say the transverse leaf spring design is actually more exotic. It has a software-controlled dual-clutch automatic transmission, which is not really exotic stuff these days and not for GM either.

The electrical system in new, which is probably where training is really necessary, but I doubt the system is much different than other current GM models, meaning the C7 Corvette was electrically a generation behind and is now "current" with other GM products and industry electrical system engineering SAE standards.

If you think about it, the GM vehicles that really are in need of specialized training to repair are the Volt and Bolt.

My thoughts at least.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-30-2020 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 3