View Single Post
      10-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #14
delita1
Rep
Drives: z4 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M40iSFR View Post
I'm thinking about upgrading the speakers in my car. I got the Harmon Kardon system when I bought it, but it's not great.

Focal have a few options that look decent https://www.focal-inside.com/bmw/en/...ible-2018-g29/ But I'm not sure the kit is completely correct.

According to this breakdown of the HK components:

Attachment 2251173

it should be 7 pairs of tweeter + mid range, plus two subs. The two way speaker in the kit are incorrect.

Questions

1. I'm thinking 7 x the IS BMW 100L kit would be better. But I won't need to use the crossover as that's built in the tweeter output of the HK amp. Does that sound right?

2. I don't see the advantage of buying the amplifier kit and BMW 2 subs instead of using the BMW 4 subs with the amp that came with it. The frequency range of both subs is the same. Only difference is one is 2 ohm the other 4. Does that sound right?

3. If I did buy the additional amp, how difficult would it be to wire?

Focal support haven't been any help.
Did you ever do an upgrade to your speaker system? I too am dissatisfied with the HK and took a look at the 7.2 premium option for the Focal, and there's a local dealer here who could do it for me. Just wondering if you ever did it, or anyone else, and could provide any feedback. I also just need to change my source and upload some of my FLAC collection, I like the idea of CarPlay but Spotify sounds like crap and the volume is so so so low that I have to turn it up to 75% or better when I'm driving. My DD is a 2019 RDX with the ELS Studio surround and it's way way better in every way for a stock audio system. I know we are limited in a 2 seater but still, I wish they had a B&O option for the Z4.
Appreciate 0