View Single Post
      11-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #725
Rr896
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

My first BMW was a 1987 535is. It was 1996 and I was just out of college with an Engineering degree. Owned a Miata and was married and wanted to add a fun family car. The car was a dark blue with tan leather.

Two memories.

Installed UUC short shift kit, lowering springs and new shocks but can't remember whos, aftermarket cat back exhaust which really sounded great and got rid of the OE metric wheels and installed the TSW Hockenheim R wheels with the blue trim rings. Car really looked great.

Second memory was a no start condition. Couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Was suspecting the position sensor that read the position of the flywheel. Borrowed an Osilloscope from work, brought it home and cranked it over and was able to see the output where back then the cheaper Fluke meters would average too much so you couldn't really see what was going on. Felt like I was being high tech at the time. Simple sensor swap out and she started right up after probably two weeks of chasing it.

Ended up selling her with around 150k miles to a BMW technician at redline motorsports in Pompano Beach FL. Always wonder if she is still around. I love the looks of the E28 5 series. When you see them today they look small even next to a more modern 4 door 3 series.
Appreciate 0