View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #863
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Hack- Chevrolet and Corvette doesn’t boast Times at the Ring that aren’t official. Mule runs there to polish the cars that come off the line at Bowling Green not to brag before a production car runs it. I can’t remember a Corvette test car with a published Ring time.
Car makes are always making their cars better, it’s warfare and you need to keep evolving to stay ahead. Stagnancy breeds losers. Don’t know what Meros motivation was for making such comments but maybe his departure wasn’t as amicable as we were led to believe, regardless.
The C7 Z51 Ring run(Mero driving) was never published because the new Carrera S beat it by a second and Chevy didn’t want that out there. Mero wanted it made public by Chevy declined.
0-60 they published but the car still isn’t finalized yet and I’m sure they’re still tinkering with things to shave Times and other perf numbers besides, every car maker lets out a little info at a time to keep the buzz going. No surprise there.
I don’t think I’m going out on a limb saying that the new Z51 will do a good deal better then the C7 Z51 at the Ring I’m confident that the 8 will easily undercut the C7 Z51 7:39 by at least double the 5 sec you think maybe even quadruple. Mid engine shows it’s prowess in turns and the Ring has a whole bunch of them. The new cars lower center of gravity, Cd, stiffer chassis, better down force, likely better brakes, more power and likely at a higher rpm due to those beautiful Longtube headers as opposed to cast manifolds. I think this car is going to be a stunner on tracks.
Corvette has been about performance for most of its life and I think it’s still the primary concern and especially now that they’re throwing the gauntlet down with the mid. Sure selling more cars is always a concern, it is a business after all.
I wager that when we look back at the end of C8 lifespan at the track the cars from Z51,Z06, ZR1, Zora or whatever else they put out will all have numbers better then many of cars in their fighting weight classes and they’ll sell lots of them in the process be it old, middle age or young while taking many checked flags. That’s the way it should be.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 09-17-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0