pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegump View Post
A little back story-Wife and I have been looking for a good daily, camping, towing, safe, reliable vehicle. We had it narrowed down to: 4runners, '17+ Grand Cherokees and GX460's. With the 4runners and GX's having minimal safety features and being pigs on the road we decided to go with a Grand Cherokee.

Anyway, we picked up a 28k mile '18 Grand Cherokee Overland last week. One owner, still under warranty, excellent shape etc etc. Well it's now in the shop for a transfer case fault. No actual drive ability issues just a bunch of codes. It won't be diagnosed until Tuesday and the dealer is covering it in case it's not a warranty issue.

Here's the kicker.. We are now second guessing our decision going with a Chrysler product. The dealer has a 30-day exchange policy and there's a '19 4runner sr5 premium on the lot. No safety features, dated designs etc but toyota reliability. We felt like we did our due diligence with JGC noting issues with the '11-'14s but not many problems on the later years.

Vote and let me hear your opinions.
In my anecdotal experience through several friends' ownership of Grand Cherokees, their most prominent safety feature is that they spend a lot of time at dealerships and indy shops up on a hoist. While they're on the hoist - as long as you don't sleep under the hoist - the GC is totally and completely safe. However, they're not much fun while they're on the hoist.

Chrysler products are shite, in general. You might defy the statistics and get a super-reliable one, of course. Just not very likely, though.

The 4Runner is an old-school body-on-frame design. Great for towing, although the GC will tow just fine too.