Thread: Rolex
View Single Post
      02-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #1052
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

As a continuation of the above post, here's my "stable".

Each watch has meaning for me, so I'm pretty content with where I am horology-wise nowadays.

From R to L (in order of personal importance):

1. Vintage Glycine Airman (Automatic). This was my father's watch that he wore in Viet Nam flying C-7A Caribou's-- he gifted it to me when I completed Pilot Training for the AF. I've flown with it from the first Gulf War through Iraqi Freedom & Afghanistan (27 years driving C-5's). It's small by today's standards but is obviously enormously sentimental to me. I don't wear it often anymore, but it holds pride of place in my collection. An interesting thing about this watch is that the hands only go around once a day-- a true 24 hour complication. The bezel is movable, so you set GMT on the face, and spin (and lock) the bezel for local time-- handy when you're jumping time zones as you never have to set the hands.

2. Rolex (no-date) Submariner (Automatic). A "Captain's Upgrade/50th birthday/10th wedding anniversary" present from my wife. It's my "I'm home/date night" watch. I don't wear it flying as cockpits are hard on watches and I try not to get it too scratched up.

3. Sinn 856 UTC (Automatic). My go-to work watch. The tegimented steel casing is just about the hardest thing in existence, so it's great to wear in the cockpit-- it's utterly bombproof (4-5x harder than the Rolex). Although I don't refer to the UTC function all that much domestically, it's nice to have. And it's German and WAY overengineeered, which is nice.

4. Seiko SRPC07 (Automatic) on a NATO. I'm a diver and I need something solid, dependable and bombproof when I'm wreck diving. The Seiko fits the bill. It's a Samurai and orange is my favorite color. It's a great watch to wear on the far side of the planet and you don't have to worry about it getting banged up, lost or stolen.

5. Skagen Titanium (Quartz). It's a million years old and is worth pretty much nothing, but it's light, thin, and an eye-catching color. It's my only battery-driven timepiece-- sometimes you just need a "grab and go" watch.

R.
Attached Images

Last edited by flybigjet; 02-14-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 1