View Single Post
      03-07-2018, 05:05 AM   #17
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
I have been Crossfitting since 2009. If you are athletic and competitive you will enjoy it. Like the last poster stated look at the Boxes (Crossfit gyms) around you. Some are better then others...ie coaching, programming and ppl. Also check CrossFit’s main site to learn a bit about what you are getting into.

My biggest piece of advice is check your ego at the door and
go slow! Learn the foundational movements and don’t be in a hurry to try and do things beyond your abilities. Progression is key!

Second would be MOBILITY!!!! Learn to love it and live it everyday!!!!

It is very easy to get sucked in and chase numbers and form bad habits. Have goals but obtain them the right way. If you are not careful injuries WILL happen.

I’ve been at it a long time and enjoy it still. Whether at my box or in my garage gym, it’s the best type of training I have ever done. And I am an ex-college athlete! Good luck brother!
Good advice, I've seen a lot of debilitating injuries from CrossFit, primarily due to "too much too soon", and not just male participants. A rotater cuff or hamstring tear will sideline you for months. If you are competitive in nature it may convince you that you can lift as much as that 120 lb participant. He/she may have been doing CrossFit for years. Take a look at Christmas Abbott, she is tiny, but has immense strength for her size, and she works diligently on her flexibility, so take care. IMHO, you are better off moving than not, an added benefit is a highly competent instructor.
Appreciate 1