View Single Post
      01-18-2022, 10:35 PM   #7
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. It's not nearly as graceful looking as the current Mustang and Challenger and it's reflected in sales as GM sells less than half the Camaros as Ford and Dodge sell Mustangs and Challengers. Funny thing is the last gen Camaro outsold both but people haven't gravitated to the current one. It's a shame because the Alpha platform is a champ as the Camaro blows both of those cars away in performance.
The Camaro has been a much higher performer on the track. It's taken ford years and years to catch up to 1LE performance and dodge was never even on the radar. The chassis is outstanding in the SS, SS 1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LE trims.

But, those are never the biggest movers, specially as you get higher in the spec. Those higher end models are what the enthusiasts buy and the enthusiasts are willing to make a few compromises for performance and driving enjoyment. The bread and butter is selling V6 and I-4 models, that's where the volume is and at those levels, ford and dodge have it all over the camaro, because the performance is NOT the primary thing at those levels and those buyers generally won't take any compromises for ergonomics, or at the least they will not go out of their way to get something that requires a compromise.

I like the visibility. I personally don't want every jane and joe looking into my car while I drive by...but it's still a compromise and while I love the SS 1LE, I would never consider a V6 or I-4 one, there are better cars for the money at those pricepoints for sure. Not so much at the SS 1LE/ZL1 1LE levels.