07-08-2020, 07:44 AM   #1766
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
The last Supra to be based on Soarer/SC chassis was able to shave off +/- 300lbs. I think a slightly under 4000lb LC based Supra would have been possible. IIRC, all the review videos on the LC didn't complaint about the way it handles. I believe most of them said it hides it's weight pretty well. Another reason was the price, a LC Supra would have cost more than the $50k starting price point of the J29. Toyota wanted this car to be affordable. Cheaper to reskin a $50k-$60k Z4 than to do the same on a $100k Lexus coupe.

It's funny that they approved the LC in the first place. It's sales are piss poor.
I think ultimately Toyota made the right call as a 4000 lb Supra at $80k+ would have likely been a poor seller. If you look at Japanese sports there's never really been a market for expensive ones. As much as we loved the original NSX and Supra TT sales were poor for both cars and absolutely nobody is buying the current NSX and Chevy sells more Corvettes in a month than Nissan sells GTR's annually. The price point of the current car is probably as high as it could be to still sell relatively well (which it is doing) and if Toyota would have actually built the Supra that the fanboys wanted, few people would actually buy it. In general catering to internet fanboys is a surefire way to build a car that will sell extremely poorly.
Appreciate 2