View Single Post
      04-20-2015, 05:48 AM   #289
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The models you have mentioned are finding customers in many markets.
If we take the 6er Gran Coupe since its introduction in 2012 it has become the best selling 6er model outstripping both the Coupe and Cabrio in Global sales.
The 4er Gran Coupe is approaching its year 1 anniversary for the market and we see an increase month by month for the practical 4er.

Both 5er GT and 3er GT are proving very popular and have their specific markets also. The 3er GT has exceeded its initial target of 10% of total 3er sales.
And so has the 5er GT which is also conceived to take 10% of total 5er sales , again exceeded which is why we will see a more elegant and re-visioned replacement.

No one wants the wagon they want the SUV and manufacturers have to adapt to the customers preference especially when it becomes no longer justifiable to develop and federalise for a market that a majority has no interest in.
First off, appreciate your time and response... you have always been a font of reasoned knowledge here.

Perhaps its just me, but I dont understand why certain cars get supported the way they do... if its backed by the sales numbers and the company continues to grow, great then.

The 6er GC has the most beautiful and well laid out cockpit of any BMW. But the back seats suffer due to headroom and visibility... which is why I have a M5 instead.

The 4er GC is a four-door F32, with a hatchback and reduced headroom. alternatively, there is a 3er GT, with an even bigger hatchback and is uglier... which is why I have a 335ix instead.

As much as I want a wagon, the F31 is just too small. Put a kid's seat in the center and try to put two adults on either side. Your comment about the market forces driving SUV production are spot on. Sadly, the X5 at its price point hasnt kept up with some of the design features I want, and the X1 and X3 are decidedly too small for my needs... which is why I just ordered a new Volvo XC90.

I am sure my next car will be a BMW, but this is the first time I have deviated from the marque in quite some time. Dilution of the brand should be a real fear. Infinite model options create complexity -- lack of certain models from the US market from a global company creates frustation.