Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
Nice Dragonfly Dave, I've spent too much time trying just to get one. Still trying...
I don't think I've ever gotten one by saying to myself, "I think I'll find and shoot a dragonfly today."

They've been targets of opportunity for me. I was stopped by the road trying to spot a deer fawn when I noticed this guy flying around an perching on a nearby bush. I took about 50 shots, with the 70-200mm and the 500mm, both with the 2.0x TC attached. I was aided by A1 Colorado morning sunshine. I take so many shots because getting enough DOF to get the eyes, body and wings in focus can be tough with all that magnification at MFD. This one, the light hit the wings in an exceptional way vs. the others.

When you do see one perching, they tend to use the same perch over and over. I went back the next day and it was still there. 30 more shots and none were as good as this in this really nice light.

Oh, that's another of my principles, if the light gets killer, I get desperate for a subject. Almost anything will look good in exceptional light. Often that special light will only last seconds and it's unusual for it to last for more than a few minutes. I blew a chance for a stellar cloud shot Saturday by trying to drive three-minutes to get into a better position. I should have jumped out of the car, taken a safety shot and then driven to a better spot. The clouds went from incredible to ordinary in a very short time.

Dave