Thread: Steering feel
View Single Post
      02-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Steering feel

I currently own a 2018 Golf R and I think it feels like it's driving on rails because it doesn't wander or get blown all over the road by wind. It tracks straighter than any car I have ever owned and that's surprising since it's a small hatchback.

Last week I test drove an X3 M40i and I absolutely hated it. That 'on rails' feeling certainly wasn't there as this vehicle felt like it was constantly wandering because of the road. The steering has a dead spot in the middle where it's really loose and then it gets really tight after turning it more than a few degrees. It felt like I was fighting the steering as it kept wandering.

I looked at an M850i, but it's just too much money and the coupe has no sunroof.

My Golf R has no sunroof and I really miss having a more open air feeling when driving. I never considered a convertible, but then I began checking out the Z4 M40I. Why not go topless if I really want a touring 'fun' car I thought. I did briefly test drive a Z4 and it had some of the wandering feel of the X3, but not as bad. I don't remember if there was the same steering deadspot, but checking some reviews that still seems to exist on the car.

Skip to 4:35

Skip to 4:35

What is up with this and why does BMW make the steering like this? Here I am waiting for a white Z4 M40i coming in from another dealer which I had planned on buying.. But that steering is giving me pause for concern.

What do you think of the steering on your z4?

Rob
Appreciate 1
oz555672.00