View Single Post
      05-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #25
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
I went from a '17 m240ix to a '20 z4 m40i.

The m240ix was modded and had wider MPS4S tires on it (235/265) and it would hook and go. Dragy clocked it at 3.6s 0-60, 11.9s 1/4. Still think it was faster than that though because my dragy always reads 2mph slower. Either way, that was on suburban back roads, not at the drag strip. I was 100% confident with the xDrive system and was concerned, like you, about dropping it for the m LSD. Being in Florida, we get rain during the summers pretty regularly and, so having xDrive was a nice comfort that I could still launch and drive stupid even in the wet.

With the Z4 m40i, it grips really well in the dry, but still has wheel spin when using launch control through 2nd gear. From a roll, it doesn't spin the wheels, but it still hauls. The new revision of the B58 also has a better power band and continues to pull through to red line. Handling wise, the Z4 handles turns better, more confidently, than the m240ix did, and I think that's primarily due to the limited wheel width the 2er can hold in the front. Having 255s in front helps a ton on the Z4, among other things. In the wet, the Z4 does spin the wheels a bit if you get on it to early during a Uturn, otherwise, it handles wheel spin and handling phenominally with traction control. Did have a tad of hydroplaning in a huge downpour, but that's expected being so light (relatively) with wide tires. Traction control brought it back in though and made me feel very confident (I was cruising at 60 down the interstate instead of the usual 75-80).

The Z4 m40i can also be more fun to hoon in a bit if you wanted. While I was able to turn off all the nannies in the m240ix and make it go sideways from a uturn, the Z4 can drift, do burnouts, and still be predictable while hooning with the nannies off.

I do miss my 2er from time to time, but then I drive the Z4 and remember why I switched. Yes, the 2er was easier to get in and out of, but I'm 28 and have full range of movement. But I bought it because it made me want to go for a drive for no reason again. I haven't had that feeling since I was 18 and got my '06 Dakota, doing random roadtrips across state just because I could. The 2er was fun to drive, but didn't make me just go drive for no reason. I've taken the Z4 cruising along the beach, across the pan handle, top up or down, just because the driving experience is fun and engaging. Tons of people say it should have a 6 speed, but honestly I don't think it'd enhance the driving experience of the vehicle unless I was tracking it. The Z4 is a cruiser and it does it very well.
Great post. Thanks for the review.
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50