View Single Post
      09-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #19
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
This is a very valid question. In the automotive industry as a whole the lines have blurred. There used to be tech, acceleration, refinement, etc. that were only available on luxury makes and nowhere else. However nowadays even a Honda Accord can be reasonably quick, have a bunch of tech/autonomous driving features, plenty space, and attractive styling, etc. Modern cars have just become so objectively good that nothing is really a shyt box anymore.

Same story within the luxury makes themselves. Sit in an 8-series then in a 4-series and besides some extra leather in places, is there much difference in the interior design and overall cabin ambiance? How much faster is the 8 than the 4 really? Is cabin tech much different? I'd say the lines have really blurred.

And of course automakers have found new ways to streamline production in order to minimize costs. Remember the Bangle era? Every BMW had a very unique exterior and interior design. Only commonalities were the switchgear, buttons, etc. and even then they weren't always identical. Now look at the modern 3/4, X5, and 8-series. Many of the interior components are very very similar.
I'll go back a little on what I said above though, I do agree that the lines are becoming more blurred. I would say they are becoming more blurred because the internet and modern communication have blasted everything out into the open. There are no more real secrets or special sauce that is being used. It's a matter of whether an automaker wants to do something, but not a matter of ability, where it was much more in the past IMO. Previously, it was unheard of for a US car to have as good or better drying dynamics than say, a BMW, but it's happened and is not out of the ordinary now. Same thing with luxury, other manufacturers figured out what and how, rather than say just making under-sprung land-yachts. That doesn't mean they always have the will to do so, but it erodes the automakers that made their reputation on this. This IMO is where you get BMW, Porsche and others selling so many SUVs, because they have to "join in", rather than hedge upon something that no longer really exists, superior driving dynamics or luxury experience. Some of the differences are getting smaller, to the point where they may be trivial to most people.
540iSUP704.00