09-30-2021, 07:50 PM   #20
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I'll go back a little on what I said above though, I do agree that the lines are becoming more blurred. I would say they are becoming more blurred because the internet and modern communication have blasted everything out into the open. There are no more real secrets or special sauce that is being used. It's a matter of whether an automaker wants to do something, but not a matter of ability, where it was much more in the past IMO. Previously, it was unheard of for a US car to have as good or better drying dynamics than say, a BMW, but it's happened and is not out of the ordinary now. Same thing with luxury, other manufacturers figured out what and how, rather than say just making under-sprung land-yachts. That doesn't mean they always have the will to do so, but it erodes the automakers that made their reputation on this. This IMO is where you get BMW, Porsche and others selling so many SUVs, because they have to "join in", rather than hedge upon something that no longer really exists, superior driving dynamics or luxury experience. Some of the differences are getting smaller, to the point where they may be trivial to most people.
Yeah in such a global and tech-dominated world, nearly every automaker is trying to be everything to everybody. The result is that every automaker is objectively making good cars but on the flipside there is less individuality among brands. Clarkson said several years ago that the Germans have been trying to hard to chase the same customer that they are essentially selling the same cars! There's a lot of truth to that.

And in the age of electrification it's going to get even worse. Nearly every vehicle is going to ride on some sort of modular skateboard platform. When you eliminate differences in sound, engine, transmission etc. then there really isn't anything unique about any product besides the superficial shit at the surface such as styling, interior, and tech.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00