View Single Post
      01-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #135
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
A large benefit is how few system parts there are on an electric. Transmission, emission system, exhaust, fuel system, intake system and all of the sensors that go along with it to run properly - a large part of them don't exist. Lots of negatives to an electric but the long term cost of maintenance and repair isn't one of them in my eyes. The battery is the only thing that concerns me.

As for the aftermarket making replacement parts, if there is a need and a market it will come. That's how the aftermarket works.
Watch some of the Youtube videos from Rich Rebuilds. You'll see a lot of other things that fail on these cars. The Model S' main screen is actually the DME (BMW speak) of the entire car. There are two known flaws to this screen. The first one is not something that will cause a malfunction but it's annoying. There is some liquid that will start to ooze out of the screen creating a sloppy mess. The only way to fix this is to replace the entire module. The second issue is from the flash memory getting worn out due to all the logging the system is configured by default from the factory. Once the flash memory fails, the car won't operate.

Then there are the other nagging problems with the electric door handles, the gull wing doors, etc, etc.

It seems some parts are obtainable from Tesla and others are not. Rich has to troll salvage yards/auctions for donor cars to get parts to repair customer cars.

And seem to be more reliable in terms of the mechanical simplicity, just hope you don't get into a car wreck with any of these cars. TFL on Youtube went through that very mess trying to get their Model 3 fixed after a minor fender bender and they worked with a Tesla approved body shop. While this situation happened a while ago, based on what I've seen supply chain issues haven't improved much.
Appreciate 0