05-02-2015, 02:28 AM   #32
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Umm...negatory.

The DMCA has had a profound effect on people. Many of the lawsuits and threats launched by the RIAA and MPAA have been due to the rights granted to them via the DMCA. Just because you're able to do what ever does not make it legal. If you happen to be caught up in a drag net, you'll understand how bad the DMCA can make your life.

The interesting thing about what the DMCA has done is to enforce a licensing model which the computer software industry has used as the foundation of their business operations. They own the software. Even though you "bought" the software, you don't own it. You only bought the rights to use it for a specific purpose.

And for those that don't think this will pass, many apathetic citizens thought the DMCA would never pass. Well look at what is law now. Most ill informed people argue fair use supercedes the restrictions imposed by the DMCA. Wrong again. Fair use was only a court interpretation from a lawsuit (Sony vs Universal Studios). Fair use has never been codified into law. Attempts by some legislators to create an official fair use law fell dead even before it was able to brought up for a vote. Again, this was due to lack of interest from us consumers. If fair use was indeed a law, we could have leveraged this as a way to combat the DMCA and what the automakers are proposing to do with access to their engine management software.
I don't see how anything you've said pertains to my point. I was speaking about content you've legally purchased. Music labels and music studios don't sue people who rip their own DVDs and CDs and place them on their iPods, iPhones and home media servers. However, they DO go after you if you sell or share the content... but I wasn't talking about that. All this stuff about whether fair use is case law or legislated law doesn't matter if it's not being enforced against people who are only ripping and storing the content on their own personal devices.
Appreciate 1