View Single Post
      05-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #33
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
I don't see how anything you've said pertains to my point. I was speaking about content you've legally purchased. Music labels and music studios don't sue people who rip their own DVDs and CDs and place them on their iPods, iPhones and home media servers. However, they DO go after you if you sell or share the content... but I wasn't talking about that. All this stuff about whether fair use is case law or legislated law doesn't matter if it's not being enforced against people who are only ripping and storing the content on their own personal devices.
Because the mechanisms are not in place, yet, for those that operate under the DMCA to enforce their rights under this act. Be assured, it will probably happen if no one raises a stink about it.

In fact it has already happened. I'm an audiophile and have been involved in many high end playback devices. When DAT (digital audio tapes) were released on the market, the RIAA had a total fit. So they moved to block importing of DAT devices unless there was something that protected them against POTENTIAL pirating. SCMS (serial copy management system) was created and enforced on all DAT devices and later showed up in Mini Disc and Digital Compact Cassette. What made this a raw deal for an originator of content. Musicians for example used DAT to record their sessions yet SCMS was forced onto their content even though the RIAA had nothing to do with it. As an additional side bar, the RIAA was also able to get a royalty tax levied on blank DAT tapes to provide monetary compensation for possible pirating.

Also many music companies have embedded additional information into the digital audio called watermarking and per your example Apple has their own DRM mechanism to enforce control over audio content you purchased from them.

So how does this all relate to cars? Have you looked into the new OBD 3 proposal? If you haven't, look at this:

http://lobby.la.psu.edu/_107th/093_O..._questions.htm

I bring your attention to these sections:

"WHAT IS OBD-III?

A program to minimize the delay between detection of an emissions malfunction by the OBD-II system and repair of the vehicle

Two basic elements:

Read stored OBD-II information from in-use vehicles.
Direct owners of vehicles with fault codes to make immediate repairs
OBD-III TECHNOLOGIES

Three ways to send/receive data:

Roadside reader
Local station network
Satellite"

Now add in DMCA into the mix and I ask you to rethink why the current action by the automakers coupled with the above push for OBD 3 isn't something you would be concerned about.

Last edited by zx10guy; 05-02-2015 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 1