09-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #525
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave View Post
I read that home owners who replaced their windows report savings of up to 15% on their energy bill due to that one upgrade alone. I want to install new windows and doors in my house for energy efficiency this year.
I replaced my windows in 2017 with double-paned impact resistant glass. I read the same 15% - 20% when we did it, but I wasn't counting on anything, as the windows were more for storm protection than energy savings. Basically, carrying around, putting up and taking down 80+ galvanized steel panels for storms four times was enough to last a lifetime.

I think there are some energy savings, but they are very difficult to quantify. For one thing, the weather changes year over year, and that is a major driver of cooling (and heating) costs. Additionally, normal everyday life results in changes to the patterns of energy use. Even if weather were identical, no one is home the same exact times, doing exactly the sames things, year over year. There are other changes that affect consumption. For example, we also replaced a refrigerator, remodeled our master bath and replaced an older water heater and replaced an a/c unit, all of which are more efficient. We are also 100% LED now. Additionally, the condition of your existing windows impacts the savings. Obviously you'd save a lot more replacing decades old windows than newer windows.

My fuzzy math tells me the energy cost "savings" are less than 10%. My bill has gone down more that 10% but some of that is due to the new a/c, water heater and fridge and some is due to a reduction in the fuel surcharge from our power company. If I looked solely at energy savings vs. cost of windows, I think it would be a 25 - 50+ year payback period. When I factor in the elimination of hanging shutters, better looking windows and (at least theoretically) some increase in property value, it was worth it. But I would not have done it just for high expected energy savings. I'd run the numbers assuming a 7-10% reduction in kWh to assess whether it is worth it if focused on energy savings.
wrickem2101.00