View Single Post
      02-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

If I had $100k with an investment time frame through March (which I would never do for short term capital gains tax alone), I would evenly distribute my assets among MREITs. Collectively they tend to hold value against one another well as some of them are more defensively structured than others(backed vs non-backed) and the industry collectively tends to even itself out on that premise. I realized 15% total return last year, with 8% from stock sales that will not generate me any more income and 7% coming from only 1/3rd of my portfolio in MREITs that will continue to generate 15%+ returns for at least another 2 years.

The biggest risk to MREITs is that the Fed would raise the prime rate, and they've already promised the market to hold it at historic lows throughout 2013. Through March, you'll get at least 1 dividend payment (averaging 4-6%) plus the stock appreciation if you're expected to sell it at the end.

Do some research on the big MREITs and split it among them based on the trends (current trend appreciation, 52 week highs) and the dividend (higher tends to have larger risks and/or unsustainable dividends).

On a totally different note, keep in mind that since the stock market's inception, ~25% of profits made by investors have come from stock sales and ~75% have come from dividends.

Disclaimer: I am only an amateur investor and this advice should be taken with a grain of salt. It only represents my own personal experience and observations about the market.

Disclosure: I am short IVR, CIM, CSCO.
Appreciate 0