View Single Post
      02-06-2018, 01:47 AM   #194
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
Seated takes a lot of the core aspect out of the lift. The standing barbell press in CrossFit and strength and conditioning is the true test of overhead pressing strength. Strength coaches like Mark Rippetoe think it’s just as important as the squat/bench/Deadlift.

Plus in CrossFit it’s all about doing exercises that will translate to others. Standing pressing strength leads to better push pressing, push-jerks, split jerks, hand stand push ups, etc.
He is correct. Crossfit uses the OH strict press as part of the “Crossfit Total” combined with Squats n DLs. Any standing movement overhead engages the core thus greatly increasing core strength. Which translates to many other movements. If you want a strong core start doing OH movements not seated. My best numbers hit come when my core is at its strongest...period!

The only down side is CF uses ALOT of shoulder pressing type movements and other shoulder exercises in consecutive workouts which can wear down shoulder joints quicker then normal. It is very easy to develop shoulder and elbow type injuries if you are not careful.
Appreciate 0