04-18-2024, 11:42 AM   #17
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I'm not even talking about styling, though you could argue they continue to go down the wrong direction in that area too. I get it, they need to push boundaries. In some cases their 'edgy' initially unaccepted design language becomes mainstream and eventually looks good. (Though certain models like the pre-LCI E65 Bangle 7 will never look good no matter how hard one tries.)

I'm talking about the driving dynamics, and even the interior styling and materials. I've driven all sorts of non-M BMWs and they all have that distinct BMW feel. Excellent handling. Nice interior that is definitively BMW, like if you were to hide the badges and put a stranger in it, you'd still know it's a BMW.

I recently rented a G21 LCI 320d for a week. It definitely looks like a BMW, and I even LIKE the styling of the wagon over the sedan. But driving the thing? Sure it was comfortable and no real complaints, just that it didn't *feel* like a BMW. You could put Kia badges inside this thing and I wouldn't know the difference. Just soft and boring. No different than any other car on the market. No soul. I know the F30 gets a lot of hate for starting that downward path, but a friend of mine has a F30 328i with Dinan suspension bits and even that car felt more BMW like than the current G20.

The engine was nice, plenty of power for everyday driving and I averaged just over 50MPG though it was very light driving, nothing sporting or aggressive. They say nobody wants small Diesels in the USA... I do.
You drove a two-litre diesel station wagon and thought it was not sporty and aggressive enough???

Breaking news, base BMWs that are bought for fleet use or families are not as fun. Go drive an E36 316i and tell me you're having fun with the measly 75 kW and slow-ass steering.

That said, yes, the E90 is peak 3 Series. I have an G21 Alpina and I can tell you it's "fun" for an AWD two-tonne station wagon, but I do miss the E91 from a driving perspective still.

This thread here has of course steered into a chat about M cars only, which only take up a rather small percentage of sold BMWs.

G3x 5er, G05 X5, G2x 3er, they're all really great all-rounders - better than their predecessors in a lot of ways - though heavily dependent on how optioned they are. More than ever before whilst having to adhere to connectivity, safety and eco bullshit regulations and customer expectations.