View Single Post
      09-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Question VIP valet parking - Is this a thing now?

Is this a thing? Maybe it is and I’m just old? Maybe it’s yet another SoCal thing (if so watch out VIP valet is coming to a city by you…ha)

Visited my Son yesterday at College in San Diego (about a 90 min drive for me South). He needed some clothes and we were planning on lunch as well. I picked him up and we headed for the local mall, lunch was going to be at the Cheesecake factory (at the mall) and given I’m nursing an injured ankle I decided to valet the car. And this is where we get to the situation that prompted my question:

Valet: Welcome sir, name and number please, we will send you a link that allows you to pay and tip on line and also contact us 5mins ahead of time to ensure your vehicle is waiting
Me: Cool thank you here is my info
Valet: Would you like to VIP valet
Me: Uh what is VIP valet
Valet: Well our normal rate is $10 however if you would like us to leave your car here in front on display it’s $20
Me: Oh okay no thank you – but to confirm if I use the app my car will be waiting for me when I get back
Valet: Yes Sir
Me: Thank you

Sooooo…..in my youth it was if the teenage valet kid deemed your car “cool enough” it sat out front – now we pay? This really makes me want to take my beater car there and pay for VIP and let it sit out in all its’ ugly glory all day “in front”

**edit** now that I think about it maybe the $10 is so the kid doesn't drive your car more than 20 feet and you can walk with your keys hmmm
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5715.50