View Single Post
      05-14-2020, 02:40 AM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

It's more complicated than just seeing that operations could still continue with work at home. A couple of months doesn't mean the company has made a successful transition. As time goes on and when businesses get up and running at hopefully full operation, only then will companies that choose to adopt the work at home model will see if they've made the transition successfully.

In addition to the social aspect of being in the office for workers, there's also the collaboration aspect. While unified communications tools such as WebEx, Teams, etc does provide a vehicle for workers to collaborate in the virtual space, I feel it still doesn't replace being able to just get up and walk over to a colleague's desk to brain storm or discuss a project.

Then there's the security aspect. While many of the tools being used to conduct business in the virtual space have security mechanisms, it's not a substitute for a well thought out security plan that is executed properly. If anything going remote increases security challenges. Companies which have not put much effort into security are going to have a reckoning.

And then the employee has to be able to make the transition. Working remotely for a few weeks to a couple of months isn't enough time to say you've made the transition. For the vast majority of my working career, I did the report into the office/work place routine. I made the transition to working from home as my primary base of operations back in 2011. I'm the type of person that took to the shift well. But I soon fell into the trap. I thought I would save so much time now that I didn't have to waste 2+ hours everyday commuting. I could get work done quickly and be able to do other things around the house or to run errands. I was sorely mistaken. The trap I fell into was I actually worked more than when I commuted into the office. Set office hours disappeared as I slowly allowed people to contact me well past office hours for projects and such. I found myself working till 8 or 9 in the evening. Some times I was skipping lunches because I was busy working through things. I finally put my foot down when I had a major health crisis that refocused me to see what was important in life. I no longer worked well past normal business hours. The changes caused a rift between my manager and myself. He got used to me being available whenever and I wasn't going to do that anymore. He would have had reason to be upset had my productivity measured in how I was retiring my sales quota dropped. It didn't in fact I was still exceeding my quota numbers. Yet he wasn't satisfied as he wanted more out of me. That's going to be the trap for those transitioning to work at home. And the aforementioned doesn't take into account homes where there are young kids around or other distractions which make it a challenge to focus on work.
Appreciate 5
yco5722.50
vreihen1614889.50
rcracin1238.00
P111541.50