View Single Post
      05-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
PrionFawkes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
I was shopping for a new car to replace my F type and my wife's SLK350 and the Boxster was the front runner until I saw the new Z4 at the local dealer; after a test drive, we ordered the Z4 M40i; it isn't as fast as my F type but it was closer than expected....it isn't as good a handling car as a 718 Boxster S either but it was also closer than expected. The biggest difference between the Boxster and the Z4 was price; even with less options the Porsche was a whopping 50% more $$$ and while it was a very nice car, I wasn't sold on the 4 cyl either.

2 cents,
Dave
My wife and I performed a nearly identical shopping and comparison session between the F-Type Convertible P430, a 718 Boxster S, and the Z4 M40i. However, I started at the Z4 after consuming a significant amount of online reviews and comparisons between all three cars. I only considered the Jag and Porsche after my wife expressed a desire to experience the differences for herself. I am very happy that we did!

After an entire day of bouncing between the three cars, she ended up agreeing that for the money, the Z4 provides an incredible experience. She had a hard time rationalizing the additional cost to step into F-Type or Boxster, other than "But, Jaguar (or Porsche)." The price gap between the Z4 and Boxster felt even more glaring when you considered that for the cost, you had this sense of diminishing returns (performance wise) for each additional dollar spent on the Porsche. Not to mention the lack of options and features on the 718, that either came standard on the M40i, or for considerably less money.

We placed an order that evening, for a Misano Blue over Cognac M40i with all Packages, 19" 800M wheels, Active Cruise Control, and the Moonlight Black soft top. It went into Production on May 23rd, with an estimated completion date of June 7th. By my estimates, the car should arrive around mid-July.
Appreciate 0