View Single Post
      03-27-2020, 04:21 AM   #53
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

With my Tesla (this is the same for Model 3/Model Y) your phone is your key and you carry the key card in your wallet as backup. You can purchase a separate key fob, but I haven't found the need to do so. If you don't like the phone, you can just use the key card similar to how you would use BMW's except you touch the B pillar with the Tesla instead of the door handle to gain entry. Also there is a designated place to put the key card in the car for both the BMW and Tesla for 'starting'.

The phone system on Tesla works extremely well. When you walk up to the vehicle with your phone, it automatically unlocks when you grab the door handle and you get in and put the car in drive (there is no separate ignition button in the Tesla). If you feel this is not secure enough, Tesla addressed the issue quite simply — you can set a 4 digit pin that has to be entered before you can drive away. When you leave the car, it automatically locks when you walk about 5-10 feet away (with a light horn beep and folded mirrors). It really is seamless and I haven't felt the need to use the PIN.
Appreciate 0