04-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Don't divert student loan repayments towards a private debt unless it is explicitly permitted (like, part of the signed statement). Potentially this is federal fraud, depending on what program the repayment money is coming from; at the least, it can put you in an unfriendly position with your workplace. Any company that is funding s/t like this should also have free legal advice you can get (like thru EAP office) and I'd run it by them at least.
The private loan I was talking about is a private student loan that they are aware of. We do not have a student loan pay-off program within the company (yet, currently something I'm pushing for to bring in young talent), rather it was something that I negotiated and was agreed upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
100% keep the fed loans. The fed offers more options if you’re down on your luck one day.

Pay off the higher rate loans. Chip away at the fed loans over time. You can make targeted payments and pay off specific loans. Don’t refi because the rate is low enough and a refi would increase your monthly payment.
Leaning towards this because of the low rate, still debating my options, but this was my initial thought as well.

Appreciate all of the opinions, just trying to make the best financial decision.
Appreciate 0