View Single Post
      12-09-2023, 09:30 PM   #24
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat30i View Post
Most recent issue: Was entering a highway, and experienced sudden acceleration issues, CEL, and drivetrain warning (cont. driving still possible). The looks of pity that other cars gave me as they sped by me . . .Car was really shuddering and wouldn't downshift to 1st or 2nd at stoplights, and something was obviously and badly wrong. Luckily, the fully booked dealer heard my whines and rearranged some work to slip me in, after giving me a loaner so that I could get some lunch without uber-ing. (again, thank you, CS BMW)

The tech found a spark plug with a broken ground electrode, and the plug was missing the washer / gasket (the interwebs informs me that the missing washer may have contributed to causation). Cylinder scoped out clean, swapped 4 plugs, and changed out the oil. A broken spark plug certainly wasn't the first thing I thought of when the car objected to my right foot.

Both plugs came out of the car, you can obviously see the one with the issue.

Also on the lucky-list:
Replaced top (broken strap thingie)
Replaced dash (bubbles)
AC compressor (broken shaft, also has to do all ac lines and condenser)
Water pump (done at same time as AC, there was evidence of a leak, but sorta preventative maintenance—but there was a leak)
Several odd electrical issues at diff times (alarm, windows, AC, HUD, and etc, let's just leave it at several . . .)

Love the car, but mine is the least reliable car that I have, in my limited experience (lots of mileage driven, but not a new car [...]
That is a lot of miles!
Sucks about the bad luck with your Z4, hopefully smoother roads ahead.

With 93k miles when the spark plug failed, did you happen to find out when the suggested replacement time is? 100k miles?
Appreciate 1
Mastakko181.00