View Single Post
      03-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #2026
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

So like I mentioned, I've been working with my dad on his diet since his health incident. He can walk short distances on his own...just tires out easily. But dialysis will do that to you. We are working on that as well.

So for the last 3 trips, I've been "wheeling" him through the grocery store for his shopping. He's starting to see what I'm talking about.

He's doing his own meal prepping and today before dialysis he weighed the lowest he's been in almost 20 years. His waist has dropped a little over 6", and he's starting to gain back some insulin sensitivity.

We've been able to reduce his long term insulin by almost 20 units a day, and eliminate his fast acting insulin.

In the past he would get hungry, and just assume his blood sugar was low...so he would eat.

Now when he has that feeling, he's checking his BS and learning that it's okay to experience hunger as long as everything else is in line.

So he's not using it as a "crutch" like he has done for so long in the past when he used it as an excuse to eat something sweet because he thought he was having a sugar drop.

I've got him an exercise bike coming, and already got him a small dumbbell set that he's using. He's proud of his progress....just wishes he was more serious about his health in the past.