View Single Post
      06-24-2023, 06:50 PM   #105
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
The number of lessons that go along with how this unfolded are very abundant.

But I’m curious what you think - was it ego, hubris, greed or pride that ultimately killed these men? Obviously it was a flaw in the carbon fiber design - but the builder of the Titanic itself made very similar claims about the strength of the ship in order to attract the wealthiest patrons of that time.

What is it about the Kobe Bryant’s and the Stockton Rush’s who think they are above regulations and the advice of those with more experience that they end up killing not just themselves but taking others with them?
The comparisons you're making about the Titanic and the Titan are not at all the same. The claims of the Titanic being indestructible are from the builder/designer of the ship. But it wasn't the builder/designer that was at the helm of the ship that made the decision to run full speed into an area known to have ice burgs during a night with no moonlight minimizing the sight distance of the lookout in the crow's nest. It was the Captain of the ship that made that decision. James Cameron even said so in his recent interview about the Titan.

Until further investigation of the debris from the Titan is examined, everything is speculation. The thing everyone needs to understand about carbon fiber is that it's only strong with tensile loading. Carbon fiber doesn't do well with bending moments. Carbon fiber also fails catastrophically. There's no gradual failure. Then you have to take into account load and temperature cycling of the materials and adhesives used. Titan made three successful dives to the Titanic. The fourth one was what did the submersible in.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615466.00