View Single Post
      09-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Audi and BMW are in a unique situation/position. Mercedes almost had to come out with the new S-Class, they needed a standout flagship because they no longer have Maybach. With having Bentley and Rolls Royce, Audi and BMW aren't pressured to really come out with something that is close to what the S-Class is as long as it's appropriately updated to what they currently have and if you want that extra notch of luxury, step up to one of the lower Bentley's and Rolls Royce models.

As much as I want the 7-Series to become what the S-Class is to Mercedes, I don't think it's going to happen based on the earlier pictures we've seen. There's no doubt it will fit in as a next-generation model but I don't think it will have that extra sparkle, at the end of the day, BMW still wants the 7-Series to be a drivers car.
I think that the S-class is eating 7-series sales significantly, if the 7 series sales were stable or decreasing slightly in anticipation of the G platform car then that would be fine but it seems the more expensive S-class is dominating the entire segment (below super luxury like Bentley and RR). I think it can still be the driver's full-size luxury car if it ups the luxury, I have no doubt the technology will be there.

I agree that the S-class is more important to MB than the 7 is to BMW, but the next 7-series needs to be very good to compete with the good reviews for the new S class in order to recoup sales.
Appreciate 0