View Single Post
      04-24-2022, 07:33 PM   #150
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Yeah, agree with pretty much everything you said.

The Straight Pipes guys represent a typically young, male demographic and have the sort of preferences & maturity (performance, noise, and tire smoke over everything else) that you would of expect.

Throttle House’s review was fair. They knocked the Z4’s steering compared to the Supra and rated the Supra a better sports car, but the Z4 as a better GT, IIRC.

I watched Raiti’s reviews because when I started looking for a Camaro ZL1 convertible, there were only a very small # of convertible reviews anywhere. Raiti had two videos, and he owns or owned a ZL1 1LE. That he thought the Z4 had a great motor and was fun to drive worked for me, even if it’s not necessarily the kind of car he’d want to own himself.

Yeah, the Redline guy said he liked it better than his Boxster (not sure what gen he owns), and was pretty enthralled with the B58. I think he said good stuff about the interior too. Actually, I don’t think any of the reviewers, whatever they thought of the Z4, said anything about the interior other than that it was very comfortable.

All the reviews seemed to converge on a few points: 1 - the engine and transmission are fantastic; 2 - the steering is direct and accurate, but doesn’t provide a lot of feedback; 3 - handling is good, but it’s not a Boxster (well, duh, it’s not mid-engined so….); 4 - the interior is very comfortable and includes all the tech and every amenity you might want except ventilated seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I think Shmee lives in a bit of a dream world of high priced cars. I'm jealous of course.

I thought Straight Pipes didn't review the Z4 that well. They considered it more of an older person touring convertible with their biggest pet peeve being loose steering. I did agree that the exhaust is a bit too predictable in how it blurps. Their biases do affect their reviews somewhat.

Throttle House. I enjoy these guys the most. Their review is fair and unbiased.

Raiti's Rides. I've seen some of his reviews and he sometimes comes across as poorly informed and just winging it on his reviews. Sometimes he's wrong on key points as a result.

Redline Reviews. One of the more enthusiastic reviews out there. He really liked the car!

I was disappointed Doug Demuro didn't review the M40i. Perhaps he thought reviewing the 30i was good enough?

Rob
Appreciate 0