View Single Post
      12-23-2020, 12:58 AM   #1
Vanbmw2010
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i convertible

BMW Connected security concern

I have had the BMW Connected app in my phone for a few years, but never used it or even added my 2012 335is to it.

About a week ago I test drove a new vehicle for about 15 minutes.
I had my phone with me, but didn't connect to the vehicle I was test driving. I did not plug it in with a USB, I did not connect it with Bluetooth. In fact it was in my pocket the entire time.

I also did not even play around with the i drive in the car, aside from clicking on navigation once .

Then yesterday while I was doing my research on the new car, I decided to click on the BMW connected app to explore it, and to my shock the car I test drove was added to my account. I can lock it, unlock it, etc... all the features seem to be working.

How is this possible? I was under the understanding that I had to add the VIN number in the app, and even then enter a code from the car to the app (much like connecting a phone with Bluetooth). Well none of this occurred, so how did it automatically add it?

Could the salesman have pushed it to my phone? He had my phone number but none of my BMW connected details.

Is each car only connected to one Bmw connected account? Could anyone test driving this car next have access and have the car added to their account then?

I'm so confused....
Appreciate 0