03-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I'm not sure what the industries obsession with him is. Sure, he's a "straight talker", but I'd say most of his opinions are at odds with the average enthusiast. Well, that is unless every enthusiast hates Porsche.
He's not deadpan serious when he makes his comments...he just fluffs it up to sound good in print and on film. And sure he slings some mud on some marks...but lots of people do that.

I like him because he's passionate. I don't necessarily agree with his opinions...but at least he speaks his mind and shows that he cares to tell the audience what cars he likes and what he doesn't. That's more than you can say for ANY north american motoring show (unless the American version of Top Gear does take off).

All the North American motoring shows are lame...they use the same adjectives to describe all cars. "We liked the Toyota Yaris because of it's torquey engine..." 10 minutes later it will say the same thing about the Porsche. Too afraid to say anything negative about a car lest they piss off an advertiser. So as entertainment goes...Top Gear with Jezza is the best. It's not meant to be really informative about cars you would actually buy...but if I want to learn about that stuff, I'll do research myself and go for a test drive.
Appreciate 0