Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysArs View Post
You are most likely right. I feel Software will be the end of the traditional luxury car manufacturers similar to how Nokia died because of it. They are simply not adapting fast enough it seams. Soon enough, customers will be expecting auto-pilot capability and other software intensive features that Tesla has and BMW can't even get OTA software updates to work at this moment. It is pretty scary
What’s confusing is that they had certain pieces of the software that the customer could update in the E89 (Bluetooth, entertainment, ...) using a USB stick. I can understand that they don’t want to ‘brick’ something critical, like the backup camera or whatever. But would have thought that the software was modular enough that they could allow updates to the library or driver or whatever piece controls the Apple CarPlay functionality and improve that connection OTA or even via a manual update from the app or heck, even old fashioned through a USB stick. I agree with your Nokia analogy - BlackBerry used to be cool once ...
Appreciate 1
ToysArs60.50