Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
For those saying "no one needs to go over 112mph", you're missing the point. It's a slippery slope to completely locked down cars that are GPS limited to the speed limit, etc. There's no reason for an automaker to do this, it doesn't benefit them in any way other than another 5 second safety tagline.

At least in the US, people don't want to be restricted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Yups, this is one of those gun control or tax increase-type situations where the proposals start out reasonable/within your comfort zone, but you always have to think about the slippery slope. as someone already mentioned, what if it was limited to 90?

with that said, Volvo is doing this of their own accord. i'm not worried until governments try to pick this up, or some kind of political pressure gets exerted on all automakers.
Well, let's see here:

1) No one is mandating this, it is a choice made by a single car maker. So slippery slope argument doesn't apply.

2) You say it doesn't benefit them in any way, but it does. It gets people talking and it does align with their marketing strategy of safety.

3) The slippery slope argument always seemed a bit invalid to me, and I am a pretty anti-government guy. The slippery slope seems somewhat nonsensical, because it can be applied to everything and most comparisons fail to prove its validity.

Why make a speed limit 70mph? Sooner or later, we will all be driving 10mph on the highways.

Why make murder illegal? Sooner or later, it will be illegal to rudely speak to someone.

Why make F1 cars on public streets illegal? Sooner or later, it will be illegal to drive a Mercedes on the street.

None of these arguments make any sense and are ridiculous.