01-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #26
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
Please refrain from using regular plastics for Sous Vide. Plastics are a HUGE source of food contamination, it kind of goes against the grain of the health benefits of Sous Vide, when you decide to Sous Vide using Zip Loc or other non-suitable plastics. I started my Sous Vide journey several years ago, and due to my profession, have some knowledge of the nature of contaminants in our food supply. My research had indicated that plastics should be kept away from food, so I wrote to Zip Loc and asked the question: "Can I Sous Vide using a Zip Loc bag?" They wrote me back recommending that I NEVER use their products for Sous Vide. Then I found this product on Amazon: SousVide Supreme Zip Cooking Pouches, Small, SVV-00304
Of course SC Johnson recommended you not use them... If they said "Go for it" and the bag failed, then they are liable for that...

All Zip-Loc bags are BPA, Adipate and phthalate free; and are food safe at microwave temperatures. Feel free to continue purchasing "special" bags at $27 a box; but please stop trying to scare people away from "plastics" while using plastic bags to cook in yourself...
Appreciate 0