10-26-2021, 08:24 AM   #39
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
Thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for. And I totally agree on your point that quality and reliability aren't the same. My plan is to purchase this vehicle, own it for as long as the warranty is good then decide to keep it or not based on how it performed the previous three or so years under warranty.

It is very surprising that the German cars aren't as reliable as the Japanese cars. I've always owned Infinitis and Acuras and I simply never have problems with them. Ever. But my friends who have owned BMWs seem to be always fighting some little thing. Oh well, it's going to be under warranty, it's my fun car not my primary car so I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info.
If you realistically will likely get rid of it after 3 years then you might be better off just leasing.

BMW's and the like tend to lose quite a bit of value once the warranty is up because the cost of maintaining them is so high after 50k miles or so.

Also while this was developed with Toyota that didn't stop them from having to recall the initial Z4's for an entire new engine replacement.

The Z4 s a great car especially for the performance and cost but don't expect Honda/Toyota maintenance costs.
For example at 50k on my 135i I put an $1800 water pump on it.
I've owned Japanese cars for 150k miles and probably haven't put $1800 in actual repairs into them over the entire 150k.