View Single Post
      12-30-2017, 04:26 AM   #39
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

I've been looking into this as well. We already have Netflix and Prime and I researched a bunch of streaming services as well. For true "cable replacement", there aren't many options. I, and two of my friends landed on the PlayStation Vue service to "try". I've not actually done my 5-day trial yet. Of my two friends, one kept it. The other ditched it. Between them, one was using a PlayStation, and the other a Roku. From the feedback I got from them, the Roku "experience" isn't the best, at least with his model. He admitted that it might work better on another device.

Which brings up, you don't need a PS at all to use PS Vue:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ne...ation-required

I've read that the experience, at least or non-PS devices, through the Fire is significantly superior to Roku. So... I ordered a Fire (box) but haven't set it up yet. I probably will this weekend.

Personally, I don't need "local" channels as we rarely watch them. We don't really watch any major network shows and maybe the occasional football game but... the PS Vue does provide those, if you want. My one buddy mentioned that NBC seemed to be "delayed". That might be his market or something, I don't know.

I need F1 coverage too, as other mentioned. So... with F1 going to ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC next year, you're covered. They have those. Furthermore, they carry FS2, which Comcast does not. I've not many races, especially endurance races show the beginning and end on FS1 and will cover the interim with FS2. That would actually be a plus, to me. or... a number of races are carried live on FS2 then broadcast, delayed, on FS1.

At the end of the day though, it's not a huge savings because I'll end up paying more for my internet. Still... I estimate $30-$40 a month savings. Another big plus is... I can add cheap fire sticks to TVs in the house that do not have Comcast boxes, without paying $10/month for the box.

PS Vue, to me, is the only one worth of really even giving it a whirl. Another side benefit I'd hopefully realize is... One of our Smart TVs isn't so good at streaming from Plex. It buffers, a lot... The other TV, Xbox, tablets, etc. all do fine. I suspect the CPU in that smart TV is just underpowered and the Fire box would resolve that. Can't be sure yet though.
Appreciate 0