View Single Post
      01-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #73
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
So buffering is really non-existant. Actually "changing channels" is as fast as changing a digital channel on my Cox cable box (takes a second or two).

Assuming that today i decided to go with Sling, the cost would be:

1 time cost of a roku / chromecast if you dont have one (60 for roku [preferred over chromecast], 30 for chromecast)
1 time cost for HD Antenna ($30 - 60 depending on type/quality/range)
Internet + Streaming = $120 - $130 (80 for internet, and 40 for a streaming that has all the channels we need)

Now thats going in with the understanding that none of my local channels would get DVR'd ... so then throw in the cost of a 'subscription free DVR' and you could also see a 1 time cost of $100.

So, upfront costs to get yourself situated are certainly not great
And then you are left with roughly $130 a month ... so I would personally see a savings of roughly $50 bucks

So now quantify (loss of convenience + cost of wife frustration), and suddenly your savings become moot.

I still plan on testing this out because im still interested in the different providers and what they have to offer.... I have nothing to lose with the free trials.... but after a few days of pretending to be a 'streaming only' customer, it seems like a pipe dream.

Now.... if i was single, it would probably make a lot of sense since i could live with a streaming package that didn't have a ton of channels to satisfy the wife.... but if you have a family, forget about it in my opinion
Clark_Kent2227.50