View Single Post
      09-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #86
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
About 10 years ago, I sat on the stage in Washington, DC, as a panelist at an FTC event about email spam. I was seated next to the CEO of the Direct Marketing Association. I'm pretty sure that I've posted about the whole experience, and the moral dilemma of letting him live instead of strangling him on the spot as an example/warning for other spamming ilk. Despite being on stage in an auditorium full of lawyers with satellite TV feeds all over the country, there is no way that any court could pick a jury where none of the 12 jurists ever had their dinner interrupted by a telemarketer call and would vote guilty. Heck, I bet they'd sentence me to a ticker tape parade, but I digress.

The whole multi-day event was a lobbying $h-t show, with businesses large and small pitching their half-baked commercial solutions to email spam. On the last day, a few of the participants asked if I would be at a Boston anti-spam event in a few weeks. Yup, the whole thing was a traveling, lobbying $-t show!

Long story short, I left the event with the conclusion that the email spam problem would never be solved by legislation, and with an eye-opening view about how lobbyists run/ruin our country.....
Your experience was front and center with the recent push for Right to Repair. Just watch any of Louis Rossman's videos he did where he actually recorded the hearings at various state hearings. Totally disgusting how the lobbyists were acting along with how you can tell the politicians were on the take. Louis even mentioned that at some of the state hearings the lobbyists were granted private sessions separate from the public hearings. None of the supporters of Right to Repair were given that courtesy.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50